4th July purple coleslaw recipe
BBQ season is officially here and I for one am pumped! Sometimes it gets a bit boring having the same food every year, so why not put a twist on your traditional coleslaw with my Mum’s purple coleslaw recipe? Surprise your guests with this whimsical yet delicious homemade coleslaw! Is it unicorn food? It could be to the kids coming to your BBQ this summer!
I’ve had the pleasure of spending two 4th of Julys in the States and have had a blast! The first time we were in Waikiki, Hawaii and it was such a joy walking through the local parks and seeing families and friends cooking up a storm on their BBQs. I hope you all have a great summer filled with good food!
This really quick and minimal ingredient coleslaw is a great addition to your summer BBQ and takes very little time to make.
1 small red cabbage
1 red onion
6 tbsp mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper
A handful of garlic chives
1. Cut the cabbage in half so it’s easier to handle.
2. Finely slice each half of the cabbage and add to your mixing bowl.
3. Peel and finely chop the onion and add to the cabbage.
4. Finely chop the garlic chives and add to the cabbage, leaving a few behind for garnishing.
5. Add six tablespoons of mayonnaise to the cabbage mixture and stir through.
6. Add about a teaspoon of salt and pepper and mix them in.
7. Spoon out the coleslaw into a serving bowl and sprinkle the garlic chives on top.
One small cabbage can make a surprisingly large amount of coleslaw so if you and your guests don’t manage to finish it, it will be good for another week if kept covered in fridge.